Getting Started - where do we begin?
Logging In to the Online school And creating accounts
Within 48 hours of enrolling, you will receive an email regarding the log in process. You will be provided with specific instructions of what you will need to do.
You and your student will log in by going to www.keystoneschoolonline.com and clicking on the Student Login button in the upper right corner of the screen. Click on Elementary School Login to access the Online School (OLS). You will then create an account using the information provided to you by email. This will include a registration number needed to create your Learning Coach account. Once that is complete, you will then set up your student(s) account. You will see step by step directions for setting up your account and your student's account in the video below:
Navigating the OLS (Online school)
The Online School (OLS) is where your student will find their online course information, assignments, and grades. Learning Coaches will access the OLS to plan schedules, preview material, and much more. Take a look at the video below to learn more about the OLS.
As part of the Keystone Elementary School, Learning Coaches and students will take part in the Orientation Webinar. The purpose of this webinar is to take a walk through some of the expectations of Keystone and of course, for you to ask all of the questions you have. The webinar will also address frequently asked questions and give you an overview of navigating the program. You will receive an email from your teacher within the first week of enrollment that will include a link to the dates and times of these webinars, as well as the directions to join the session. Make sure to keep in mind that the schedules and our teachers are located in Eastern Time Zone. If you are in a different time zone, be sure to take this into account when joining the session.
Here's what you can expect from the webinar:
1. A walk-through the most important components of the OLS.
2. If you have had time to think of questions, jot them down before the session. This will help you stay organized and get answers to all of your questions!
3. The moderator will explain the nuts and bolts of your Keystone experience, including course navigation, your role as the Learning Coach, how to set goals and use the progress tools in the OLS, and the portfolio review process.
4. The sessions will last about an hour.
Day in the life of an elementary student
The great thing about this new experience you are embarking on is that you have the option to set up a daily schedule that fits your family and your student's needs. There are many approaches, but here are a few things to keep in mind:
- Figure out what "school time" means to your family. What are the hours that you will devote to school? What expectation do you have for distractions during that time? Have answers to these questions ahead of time, so you are not caught in a situation where you and your student are distracted from your goals.
- Visit your student’s Daily Plan before you begin any school work for the day. You can toggle to the weekly plan, as well, to see what is recommended to stay on track for any given week. If you prefer to adjust the plan, you can do so under the Learning Coach Login. When you select the “Plan” dropdown, you will have the option for schedule setup, which allows you to change the number of lessons completed each day in each subject.
- Make sure that you try to give equal time to the subjects within the week. While it may be tempting to focus on just one or two subjects, our experience shows that when students work on all of their subjects throughout the week, they are more successful. It is understandable that there will be times when this cannot be followed to a “T”, but keeping up with all subjects at close to the same pace will provide variety for your student and help keep the coursework balanced.